Saturday, April 14, 2018

Shoulder to Shoulder

About two years ago I hurt my left shoulder in a silly mishap involving my bicycle. I still won’t call it a crash; more a slow-motion fall. I described the aftermath in two posts here (in way too much detail), although I didn’t write those until about six months later.

Now I’ve damaged my right shoulder. It hurts like hell.

As before, the injury involved a bike. I volunteer at Community Cycles, the local bike co-op, where on Sunday afternoons they graciously allow me to pretend I’m a bike mechanic. Last week I bent over the top tube of a bike (much like in the photo at left, though that probably isn’t me) to tighten the bolt of the non-drive side crank arm I had just replaced.

I got it snug. Probably snug enough. But to make sure, I gave it a Superman yank. And something in my shoulder went sproing!

It hurt like hell. It still hurts like hell.

There is no moral to this story. No denouement. Only a shoulder that hurts when I move a certain way. When I move that certain way, it absolutely gets my attention. I have not been sleeping well.

So I try not to use it. I won’t keep my arm in a sling. Immobilizing it might actually help, but who wants to give up use of a limb, even for a little bit?

This is a total bummer. Ordinarily the hours I spend in the bike co-op are happy ones. I guess I’ll be okay in the weeks and months ahead, provided I don’t tighten any crank arms.

This injury is different than the one a few years ago. Not as bad, I hope. I’m supposed to see my massage therapist in a few hours. It probably won’t help much, but it won’t hurt, either.





No comments:

Post a Comment